I. The concept of IML
IMD (In-Mold Decoration) is a new technology for placing a Film film in an injection mold to decorate the surface of a plastic surface. At present, IMD has two manufacturing methods. One is to make a printed Film film into a circulating roller roll, which is installed in an injection molding machine and an injection mold. The label Label is attached to the front mold surface and fully automatic. Production is known; that is, people call it IMD (transfer injection molding in the mold).
The other is to print the Film film through Forming molding, and then cut it and put it into the injection mold to produce it. It is called IML (film injection molding in the mold). This Film can generally be divided into three layers: substrate (usually PET), ink layer (INK), and glue (mostly a special adhesive).
When the injection molding is completed, the film and the plastic are tightly combined by the adhesive glue. Because the PET with the wear-resistant protective film on the outer surface is in the outermost layer, it has the functions of abrasion resistance and scratch resistance, and the surface hardness can be It reaches 3H, and it will be brighter and brighter. The injection molding materials are mostly PC, PMMA, PBT and so on. As shown below:
2. The process of IML
Cutting---Plane printing---Ink drying and fixing---Plastic protective film---punching positioning hole---thermoforming---shearing peripheral shape---material injection molding process flow as shown below: specific description As follows: 1) Cutting: The roll film Film is cut into square pieces of designed size for printing and molding processes.
2) Flat printing: According to the required icons and characters, it is made into a film network, and icons and characters are printed on the cut film square block.
3) Drying and fixing of the ink: The printed film Film square is placed in a high temperature oven to be dried, in order to fix the IML ink.
4) Sticking protective film: avoiding the surface of the printed film Film during the punching process, sometimes it is necessary to apply a single layer or double layer protective film.
5) Punching the positioning hole: The thermoforming positioning hole must be punched. The positioning holes in the shearing process are sometimes punched in advance.
6) Thermoforming (high pressure or copper mold): After the printed film is heated, it is molded in a preheated state by a high pressure machine or a copper mold.
7) Cutting the peripheral shape: the scrap of the formed three-dimensional film is cut off.
8) Material injection: The film with the same shape as the front mold of the front mold is placed on the front mold to mold the finished product of the IML.
3. The advantages and disadvantages of the IML process
1) The film production cycle is short and can display multiple colors;
2) The pattern and color can be changed at any time during production;
3) The outermost layer of IML is FILM, the ink is printed on the middle layer, the appearance is smooth and beautiful, the more the touch is brighter, and it has excellent scratch resistance;
4) IML production batch quantity is very flexible, suitable for multi-variety small-scale production
1) The previous period is long;
2) It is easy to produce film peeling, distortion and the like;
3) High product defect rate.